January 05, 2013

Fresh Ginger Tea

My name is Jessica, and I'm a gingerholic.

Since I discovered fresh ginger tea, it's been the only tea I ever make. I have it every day, sometimes so much that it replaces all the water I drink! I am hopelessly, fabulously addicted to it and I've managed to get many of my friends and family addicted too! It's spicy and sweet at the same time, with a fresh, bright, energizing flavor.

Ginger is one of my favorite foods, which is lucky for me because it's renowned for its health benefits and has been used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years to treat many different ailments. Here are some of the things ginger is most famous for:

  • Treating nausea, including nausea caused by motion sickness, seasickness, morning sickness, chemotherapy, stomach flu, food poisoning, etc.
  • Powerful anti-inflammatory, particularly noted for treating arthritis.
  • Digestive aid - ginger is an effective treatment for gas, bloating, and any other form of digestive distress.
  • Boosts the immune system - ginger is your best friend if you are coming down with a cold or flu. Adding cinnamon to your ginger tea is especially effective for clearing up a stuffy nose!


How to make it

To make fresh ginger tea, simply cut up fresh ginger root into small pieces with a sharp paring knife. Put the pieces in a mug, fill it with boiling water, and let it steep for a few minutes until it's nice and spicy. You can peel the ginger with the edge of your paring knife first if you find it tastes better, but I don't bother since I never notice the difference. I usually use about 1/4 cup of ginger pieces for a nice tall mug of tea. You can re-use the same ginger many times, maybe adding more pieces every so often to keep it strong!

One more thing: ginger is one of those foods that tastes way better if it's organic. Organic ginger is stronger too, so you won't need to use as much.

Like this post?

Enter your email to have all new posts sent directly to your inbox!

1 comment :